About Me

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

DRINK DON'T DROP


We dropped like flies. 
Orlando, Florida is hot in August. 
 Boot Camp graduation is a great time of celebration. As always, the pomp and circumstance lasted hours.   
Before the ceremonies, we ran 3 miles, ate chow (breakfast), showered, and marched to the ceremony field, all by 10 am.  
Many did not drink water.  I had a few mouth fulls in the shower.
We stood there, at parade rest, (feet shoulder width apart arms behind our back with hands tucked into the small of the back). 
We watched the graduates march by us. We knew in five weeks we would be the one's marching.
The intensity of the heat began to take its toll.


Thud!  Thud! Thud.  Three of my classmates were on the ground.  We were instructed not to help.  They were quickly whisked away as the ceremony continued.  
Thud!  Two sailors away from me my friend fainted.
I felt dizzy and nauseous,   
Am I next?  I whispered to myself.
I bent my knees as advised in our training.  My mouth was drier than a desert.  I needed water.

After the ceremonies, we marched back to the barracks and immediately drank water.  I could hear lips smacking in delight.
 I found my friend,
 Did you pass out? Are you ok?
Her still pale face and bloodshot eyes caught my attention as she said,
It happened so quickly, I was thirsty, felt dizzy; I thought I was going to die. I awoke, and the doctor gave me water. 
Have you ever passed out from thirst?

Psalm 63:1 O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
    my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,

as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

Without water, my friend could have become severely ill or physically died.   

Spiritually we are dead without a drink from the Living Water. 
The woman at the well offered Jesus physical water.  His offer to her was life altering.

Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,' you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water- John 4:10 ESV

In Bible times,  spring water was called living water because it seemed "alive" as it bubbled up from the ground. Jesus makes a play on words with the phrase "living water," He offers the woman water that will quench spiritual thirst. 
She drank of the free gift and it transformed her The hole in her sole was satisfied.  
Her conversion was evident causing a ripple effect.  The lives of those around her touched by the wake of her testimony.  (you can read more in John chapter 4

  The living water is the Holy Spirit.  

 On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink.  Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’”  Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified. John 7: 37-39

Jesus is glorified; we have the Holy Spirit living in us.
So why do we feel dry?

The LORD will guide you continually,
giving you water when you are dry
and restoring your strength.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like an ever-flowing spring. Isaiah 58:11 NLT


We must draw from the endless supply of Living Water.

Ask the Spirit to strengthen you.

Have you felt spiritually withered? 
How did the Lord refreshed your soul?
 Please share below.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Great analogy of the soldiers falling out without water. Our souls do get dry and parched when we are not drinking the Living Water on a consistent basis keeping us hydrated in the Spirit. Thank you for sharing this reminder and helping us to pay attention to the signs of spiritual dehydration. Blessings, ~Melanie

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Melanie, Thank you for stopping by and for the encouragement. May God continue to quench any thirst that you may encounter.

Ruth said...

Thanks for sharing this truth today. The story makes the psalm come alive with meaning, the yearning of being parched, of needing God's living water. Many blessings with your "new" blog, love the name.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Thank you for the encouragement, Ruth. May God bless you as you serve Him.

Sherry Carter said...

I should thirst for God's Living Water as much as I need water for my body. Out here in the desert of west TX, I see the plants seeking water so their roots can remain strong. I need to drink deeply of the Living Water so I can stand when the storms come. Thanks for the challenge, Cherrilynn!

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Oh Sherry, we all do. Thank you for the encouragement. May all your needs be met in Christ Jesus, our living water.