About Me

Thursday, May 19, 2016

I PUT THE "PRO" IN PROCRASTINATE



I procrastinate.   I don't know why I put things off.  Maybe I have a fear of failure.  
Maybe I'm just plain lazy.  
 I'm getting better.  I set a weekly schedule. Granted, It took me a month to get the jobs into my planner.




I researched potential reasons for my inability to complete a task. Here is a short list 
Fear of failure
Perfectionism
Lack of Reward
Rebellion against others demands
The list goes on...
I resonate with each of these. 
I also learned from the article,
 Procrastination is a learned behavior. 
I could blame my behavior on the abuse from my father.  (My research  proves this theory).
So, I have an excuse, right?
The poignant truth when it comes to obeying God,
Procrastination is a sin
There, I said it.  Now, if I only could put off the feelings of guilt.

Freedom came after prayer, self-examination and study of the Scriptures.
With God, I found hope to go forward boldly.  
The daily charge from my Master

Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. 2 Corinthians 8:11 NIV

I think of the ten virgins with oil lamps.  Five had oil and five procrastinated and did not get oil.  You can read the story HERE

The outcome was tragic.  


On the opposite end of the spectrum...King Solomon built a Temple for the Lord. It took 20 years, but he started the work.   His patience and dedication are recorded in 1 Kings 7:51


Thus, all the work that King Solomon did on the house of the LORD was finished. 


Finished.  That is a word that most procrastinators long to hear.


I repented of my sin.  I remind myself daily that God loves me, He is patient with me, and gives me everything I need for life and godliness. 

 His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, 2 Peter 1:3 NIV.

God gives me the power and means to do it.  How can I fail with the Creator of the Universe on my side, empowering me to succeed! 

 
Join me and walk forward with God.  If we move forward with purpose, God's purpose; we no longer need to procrastinate.
Do you procrastinate?
If so, do you know why?
Please share below.

6 comments:

Patty Schell said...

Oh man, my name is Patty and I'm a procrastinator. I recent years, I have made a change-yes, repented from my evil ways-and have turned the corner on this bad habit. It is so freeing to make a departure from the load of procrastination I was carrying around.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Patty, you made me giggle. Procrastinators anonymous! Thank you for sharing your struggles. I still struggle with it. I read that verse and it is my kick in the pants to get moving. May God bless you. Thank you for stopping by.

Leigh Powers said...

Finished--what a great word! I'm thankful God gives us the power and ability to conquer all our temptations--even procrastination.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Leigh, Amen, sister. I am still tempted to procrastinate. I o to the throne room and ask for help. Thank you for stopping by.

Crickett said...

Cherrilynn, I'm a procrastinator. The two main reasons I procrastinate are perfectionism and fear of failure. "How can I fail with the Creator of the Universe on my side, empowering me to succeed!" - Very well said. Thank you for the reminder. (And I love the picture of the cat, moving forward!)

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Crickett, I understand wholeheartedly. God still works out my ideology of perfection and fear of failure. I am working on my first book and ready to send it to the editor. My fear is that he will hate it. Knowing that I am being obedient to God gives me peace. I can learn from my mistakes. God is so good to us. Thank you for the encouragement. Praying for you too.