About Me

Thursday, May 12, 2016

OH NO, NOT MY ROW!

Oh No, not my row" I said to myself as I watched a man with the physique of a linebacker walk toward me.  The plane was small.
 I was joyful, yet tired.  I had just left the Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference.  I needed time to digest all the information I soaked up over the last few days. 

The large man sat shoulder to shoulder with me.  For the next hour, we were squeezed into the back two seats of the puddle jumper. 
He  mumbled, "I don't want to talk if that is OK with you...so what do you do?" 
 I was confused at first.  He did not want to converse but still asked me a question.  
 "I write ."
"What do you write about?" 
"I write mostly about the Bible."  
I felt his shoulders tense.
I waited for him to excuse himself and sit in one of the many empty seats available. He remained.
"I went to church when I was little. My sister is still religious; she wants me to go back to church.  I am on my way to see her."
Over the next thirty minutes, he shared.  I listened. 
His mom died a year ago; he and his sister just mustered up the courage to go to their childhood home and face the memories.  He worked with many guys who hated God and made it known.  Guilt, pain, and uncertainty haunted him. He wanted peace of mind.

I prayed while he poured out his heart to me.  I desired to share the love of Christ with him; only if the Spirit prompts me.
"I am so sorry about your mom; I will pray for you and your sister.  God was my comfort when I lost my grandmother."


I could move my shoulder now; the tension in his shoulders released. 
"Thank you so much, I do believe in God, ya know.  I'm not a heathen," he stated.
The Spirit prompted me to be bold.
"We are all heathens apart from Jesus."   
He tried to shift in his seat to look at me.
"Really?" he gasped.
The pilot's voice interrupted,
"We are on our descent ..."
For the remaining few minutes I explained.
"Salvation is as easy as A B C...
A- Acknowledge you are a sinner separated from God.
B- Believe that Christ died for sin, rose again on the third day, and now sits at the right hand of the Father
C-Confess your sin and Cry out in repentance."

I recited Bible verses that corresponded to each letter and statement.

I concluded my rapid fire statement.
"Peace only comes from a relationship with your Maker."
He seemed to understand.
His entire countenance changed; he seemed lighter on his feet as he stood to grab his luggage from the overhead bin.
"Peace is what I desire."
The Lord was not finished with this man; I was the bold mouthpiece.
 I looked up and fixed my eyes on his.
"The Lord is calling you. Today is the day of your salvation. We did not meet by chance. You must make a decision. It will be the most important decision you will ever make."
He looked at me wide-eyed, "I know."
 As we parted ways, he said, "I can't wait to tell my sister about the unforgettable conversation we had."
I don't know if he accepted the free gift of eternal life.
That is in the hands of our mighty God.
I praise God for the hour squeezed into that back row.
 I thank Him for the boldness to speak to a man three times my size.
Have you had an 
experience where the Holy Spirit prompted you to be bold?

I would love to hear about it.



6 comments:

Crickett said...

Wow, Cherrilynn, what a powerful story! I confess I've found myself not wanting to sit next to someone on a plane. What an encouragement your story is. And I love your ABC's of the plan of salvation. Thanks for sharing this story!

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Crickett, Thank you for your encouragement. I need things simple, so God gave me the A,B,C I have seen it elsewhere. It is easy to learn and easy to teach. Have a blessed day my dear sister.

Lonnie said...

What an encouragement to always be ready to give a reason for the hope within us. The Blue Ridge Mountains is where I spent my first summer after accepting Jesus--44 years ago. I left my heart there and came back to MN, but via facebook am still in touch with a couple of my campers. Thanks for sharing.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Lonnie, Thank you for the encouragement. The Blue Ridge Mountains are gorgeous. Have you been to the writers retreat there? Have a blessed day.

Lonnie said...

Thank you Cherrilynn. I did check out the blog. The posts are a touch long for me, but yes, heart-nourishing. So, with no flattery intended, I think your posts have been the perfect length--definitely more than an appetizer but not like having to budget my calories for a buffet. I prayed for you this morning.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Lonnie, Thank you for the prayers and encouragement. I can feel them. I long to be used by God. Your words give me confirmation that I am doing what He wants. Be blessed my friend.