About Me

Thursday, June 9, 2016

GROUNDS FOR ADDICTION

I have something to confess.  
I have an addiction.   It began in the Navy.  
I was stuck with the overnight shift.     
 Sleep was an unwanted intruder.  If I allowed myself to doze, I would go to jail. (Rules of the Navy)
 I had to drink to stay awake. 
 Everyone else drank, so why not me?    
I hesitated.
   After a few nights of the fight to stay awake,   I had to succumb.   I turned to… COFFEE.  
That jolt of Java promised to keep me awake.  
That slap in the face from a dark brew kept me alert.   
I did not like the taste at first, but  I  stayed awake.   
Jail or Java?   Easy decision for me.  After a while, I began liking the taste.  I even longed to go to work to get a drink.   I confess, I am a coffeeholic.  It seems I cannot get my day started without it.I look forward to my morning Joe the night before.

K-Cups are my favorite.  Whoever invented the Keurig is my hero.  Hot coffee at my fingertips without having to make an entire pot. That is Genius!    I have tried going without my jolt of java, but I get a headache. 
 I know that is a sign of addiction.  I could quit, but I am addicted.  Turn to decaf, you say.  Why?  
I would still be a zombie with the lingering taste of coffee on my lips.  That is unfair.  
I know that I am not alone in this addiction.   Why it was some of you who encouraged me to drink!   Are we bad people for needing this wake-up call every morning?   I don’t think so.  Why there are shops created just for our addiction!  
 Places where we can meet with others just like us.   The heavenly aroma when I walk into…   Ahh.  But I digress. 
 I could go on and on about all different ways to make my morning motivator. 
 In fact, there is a name for those who have perfected the perfect cup.  All you coffeeholics, raise your cup and toast with me.  
Cheers to the Barista!   Now pour me another cup.
  One morning, I went to make myself a cup.  I had forty-five minutes to myself. I wanted to grab my cup and fellowship with God.   I long for that time, before the sun rises, to read the Word and sip my coffee.  I grabbed my cup from under the spout.   What?  An empty cup?   
 I forgot to put the water in the machine.   Now I have to do it all over again and wait.  
UGH!  My quiet time disintegrating because I did not follow proper Keurig procedure!  I made sure everything was set now.  K-cup in. Water added.  Cup under the spout.  Push the button.  Wait...      
I almost felt guilty… yes, I said “almost”…  for getting so excited to hear the last portion of paradise pour into my cup.  When it finished, I slowly put the cup up to my mouth,  Yes! A hot cup of pure joy.  
I tasted it.   UGH PSSFT PSSFT    What Happened? 
I almost woke my son with my outburst.   
Have you ever tasted lukewarm coffee?  YUCK!    More quiet time was gone and I had to wait for yet another cup.   I thought I made the coffee correctly.  Now I was upset.  How could I ruin my coffee twice?   It seems that the heating element needed to cool down before I put the water into Keurig the second time.   Silly me.   I did not want to waste the coffee, so I chugged it down.  Not satisfying at all.    
No one likes lukewarm anything.   Lukewarm is mediocre at best.  
When it comes to people, lukewarm means half-hearted.    God hates lukewarm.(tweet this)
So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth Revelation 3:16  
Like I spit my coffee out because it was tepid, God will spit out those who are half-hearted or lukewarm in their service to Him. 

In the book of Revelation, the Apostle John is given a word from the Lord to give to the seven churches in the province of Asia.   Laodicea was one of those churches.  Laodicea was known for its lukewarm water because it was located between the hot springs of Hierapolis and the pure water of Colossae.   Some scholars believe the metaphor for hot and cold came from Laodicea’s location.    The Laodicean people were criticized for their lack of zeal for the Lord.  
The English language refers to those that are neutral or indifferent in matters of faith as “Laodicean”.    
Wow! Not a good description for people God blesses with riches; not a good description for anyone.  
As I drink my hot cup of coffee and ponder the message to the Church of Laodicea, my prayer is that I will be on fire for the Lord, and not grow lukewarm by my lack of obedience.  I want to serve my God with a wholehearted devotion and a willing mind.  
God gave the lukewarm Church of Laodicea a warning and a promise.  

     Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.  Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.  Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. Revelation 3:19-22.
Each morning, while I do the proper Keurig procedures with zeal, may I be reminded to be even more zealous in my walk with Jesus.  Following the Holy Spirit's guidance.  Knowing that both will produce a fragrant aroma.
Will you join me?






2 comments:

Crickett said...

Cherrilynn, I love my coffee too! Thanks for the challenge to be even more zealous about my walk with Jesus than I am for my morning cup of coffee.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Crickett, Thank you for the encouragement. I still forget myself. I want to always remember to perk up (hee hee) for Jesus.