About Me

Thursday, June 23, 2016

WHEN YOUR NAME MEANS BROKEN

Chingaling, Laura, and Zola shouted as a glass vase crashed to the floor.  
 Saturdays were high dusting days for this mother and daughter team.
 They didn't see me as  I stood in the door of their white stucco home in Guinope, Honduras.  
I came to say goodbye.  It was time for me to return to Rhode Island.
I had been in Guinope for three months assisting Dr. Pearlita Marcy in the local medical clinic.   
The people of Guinope were now my friends.  We ate together, prayed together and laughed together.
When I first arrived in Guinope many people could not pronounce my name, Cherrilynn (Sherry Lynn) As hard as they tried they could not pronounce the "SH";  it always sounded like "CHI".    
My name became Chingaling. I grew to love it.
Unbeknownst to everyone in Guinope, my heart was broken.  
I was in a rocky relationship with a gentleman from the states. The relationship had ended, but I did not want to let go. 
Holding on seemed to be a pattern with me.
I could not leave my emotional baggage at the airport when I arrived; I dragged it everywhere I traveled.
 My wounds from childhood abuse screamed to be healed, and they would not stop just because I was in a foreign land.
 I was good at hiding all that brokenness,  fear, and depression.

The Lord was at work in this quiet mountainside village.
His loving hand desired to touch my wounds and mend them.
I had many long talks with God as I walked through the streets of Guinope. (emotional baggage in tow)
 God began to heal my broken heart. The weight of despair dissipated as I loosened my grip on the handle of my broken identity.

My friends turned to stare at the glass shattered on the floor.
Chingaling!   they repeated.
Are you that happy to see me? I said.
My sudden appearance startled them.
No, I mean yes, Laura said.
Then Laura and Zoila looked at each other with amusement and delight.
Chingaling they shouted and began to laugh a full belly laugh. 
I thought they were going to fall off their chairs.
What's so funny?
I began to laugh with them.
They stepped off the chairs, avoiding the glass.
Chingaling, Laura said as she pointed to the broken glass on the floor.  Laura spoke fluent English.
The Spanish word for the sound of glass as it crashes to the floor is Chingaling.
Laura and I cleaned up the glass.
As I swept the pieces of broken glass into the dustpan, the Holy Spirit impressed these words upon my heart.
Chingaling, I am sweeping up the broken pieces of your heart.  I will mend them together for my joy and purpose.
The Lord also reminded me of Scripture
 He heals the brokenhearted
and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3 (tweet this)

That was 20 years ago.  God kept His promise. My heart's healed from the past abuse and my baggage gone. 
 I only remember a few Spanish words, but I will never forget my name, Chingaling. (I use it for my twitter handle)
Do you feel shattered, like there are too many broken pieces to repair?
God promises to bind the brokenhearted. Run into His loving arms for healing.
Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed;
save me, and I shall be saved,
for you are my praise.  Jeremiah 17:14



11 comments:

Crickett said...

Love this story, Cherrilynn!

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Thank you Crickett. Have a blessed weekend.

Nan said...

Chingaling! I love it Cherrilynn. I, too, am in a season of brokenness, but God, in His tender love, is healing me and giving me the strength to go on. He is faithful :)

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Nan, Thank you for the encouragement. I am praying for you as you go through this season. Hugs to you.

Nan said...

Thank you.

Greg and Heather said...

What a great story, and I love how God used it to teach you! It was no coincidence that the vase broke that day. Thanks for writing!

Betsy Cruz said...

What a beautiful story about God's healing power. Chingaling. It's amazing how sometimes God reaches down to heal us as we reach out to bless and help others.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Thank you for your encouragement. God is good to teach us. Have a blessed week.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Thank you Betsy. We serve a glorious, kind, and powerful God. Have a wonderful week.

Leigh Powers said...

Oh Cherrilynn, that is beautiful. Thank so so much for sharing. I love how God reaches into our brokenness to heal us and make us whole.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Leigh, We serve an amazing God. Thank you for the encouragement. May God bless you as you serve Him.