About Me

Thursday, June 30, 2016

YOU'RE CHARISMATIC AND YOU DID NOT KNOW IT!

Me Charismatic? Never!
Conservative is an accurate word to describe my beliefs.
The Lord used a Baptist Pastor to introduce me to Jesus Christ.

After I had married, I worshiped in a non-denominational church where people raised their hands.
 At that time, I believed that Charismatic meant speaking in tongues, raising your hands and jumping up and down.   In my eyes, they were not in control, after all,  God gave us a Spirit of self-control. I would never raise my hands. 
I learned, never say never.

 I heard the heartbeat of my thirteen-week-old child.  I had already had one miscarriage at ten weeks gestation, the sound of the heartbeat of my second child produced joy and hope.  
After the sonogram, I met a friend at the I-MAX theater.  During the movie, I felt queasy and dizzy.  I attributed it to the fact that the screen was so big, and I was not used to 3D movies.
 Stomach cramps would soon follow.  The next day, we said goodbye to another child.  
Depression returned, deeper and darker. 
Church no longer gave me joy.  How could I face my friends, especially those who were pregnant?  How could I tell them I lost yet another child.
My husband was on the praise team, and I was one of the leaders of the Women’s ministry, so I felt I had to attend church.
 During the second service,  A few Sundays after my child went to be with Jesus, I was waiting for my husband.  The worship team was almost done, and I was eager to get home and hide my head under my pillow.
I stood against the wall in the back of the church.  Thoughts of my unborn child along with unanswered questions consumed me.  
Why?  What could I have done better?   Am I too old to have a child?  
As tears streamed down my face, I listened to the music.  I found myself singing along.
My hands shot up into the air.
worship backgrounds for powerpoint | Worship PowerPoint Template I looked around to see if anyone noticed me. 
  Oh my! I am one of those charismatics’ now. (Tweet This)
 I did not care anymore.  The Holy Spirit threw my hands up in praise and worship. His love consumed me with such warmth and power my body could not contain the joy.
Darkness turned to light and my mourning turned into dancing.

Lift your hands in the sanctuary and praise the Lord Psalm  134:2

 Raising my hands was a manifestation of  freedom for me;
an intimate time of fellowship between my healer and me.

I never solely go by experience. The Bible is the source of truth,
God showed me in Scripture, that I had been wrong in my thinking.
 Did you know that the root word for charisma, in the original Greek language, means the gift or gifts given to a believer by the Holy Spirit of God upon salvation?
That word is charis or charisma.
 When we operate in our spiritual gift, we are being Charismatic.
 It has nothing to do with the raising of the hands or jumping up and down like I thought.

Romans 12:6 We have different gifts (charisma), according to the grace given us. If a man's gift (charisma) is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith.

1 Corinthians 1:7 Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift (charisma) as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed.

1 Peter 4:10 Each one should use whatever gift (charisma) he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

Yes, I am Charismatic , however, it is not because I raise my hands.  
I Praise God for showing me my ignorance.  I am free to worship and use my gifts to bless the body of Christ.
Believers have at least one spiritual gift.
Do you know your gift, my charismatic friend? 



Find out about your Gifts.
http://www.spiritualgiftstest.com/test/adult

11 comments:

Connie Wohlford said...

Great job on clarifying some misunderstandings about how I worship, Cherrilynn! And happy independence day to those who've discovered they can worship God with outward signs of praise and wonder--even glorifying God in an unknown prayer language, when human words just cannot express the awe and glory of our Creator. I enjoyed reading your post.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Connie, You made my day. Thank you for your encouragement. Gods blessings to you too.

Connie Wohlford said...

:+)

Jean Holland said...

I grew up in a very conservative Baptist home, the daughter of a Baptist preacher. I was warned about those people who got out of control creating chaos and disorder. But as an adult I became disillusioned with legalistic dogma. I danced to the radio with my Lord in the privacy of my own home and could hardly be still when we sang songs like "Victory in Jesus!" I don't run around and jump pews or anything but my hands go up when I sing God's praise. People have told me they love to watch me worship because it looks so real. Well, that's because it is. I don't raise my hands or dance in place to put on a show. I just want to worship God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. I think He likes that. Thank you for sharing your heart. Great post!

Lonnie said...

What a great post, Cheryl. While I can't identify with the loss of children, I can certainly be sad with you and for you. That God would teach you a freedom of worship during that difficult time is amazing. It's also an encouragement. Thank you.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Jean, Thank you for sharing. I smiled all the way through it. God is good to free us from dogma to worship Him wholeheartedly.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Lonnie, Thank you for your encouragement. May God bless you.

Katy Kauffman said...

Cherrilynn, it saddens my heart to hear about your miscarriages. Yet God brought you joy, and you couldn't help but raise your hands. I am usually mindful of the crowd around me in a worship service (not to distract or block anyone's view by standing or raising hands), but there are times when I can't help but raise my hand to praise the God who loves us and heals us. I feel like it's saying "I love You, God, and I need You." Thank you for sharing your story.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Katy, I agree with you. I am mindful of those around me. Thank you for the encouragement. God is good to bring beauty from the ashes.

Nan said...

What a awesome post, Cherrilynn. Even at age 61 I can still remember the first time I raised my hands in worship. I was in my mid-twenties. Talk about freedom! My spiritual ears could hear the chains clanging as they hit the floor :)

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Nan, Amen. Freedom in Worship is a treasure. Thank you for posting.