About Me

Friday, July 22, 2016

IS THE YOKE ON YOU?

I'm  anxious to complete the edits for my first book. As a new writer, I have much to learn. I feel inadequate. Fear sets in.
Will I finish, will it be good, will I disappoint my editor?
I get grumpy and my family suffers.
"Dad, don't talk to mom she's not in a good mood today." My son noticed my change in attitude.
I prayed.
Why am I so anxious, you called me to write. Help me figure this out, Lord.  
Life doesn't stop when I edit.
My sister was in a hit and run accident resulting in a hairline fracture in her neck. She must wear a neck brace for six weeks. I'm her chauffeur and caretaker.
One Sunday morning I drove us to her church.
I heard a sermon on freedom.
Her pastor said.
 "Freedom is only found when yoked to Jesus." (Click to Tweet)

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Mathew 11:28-30


Pastor George continued.


"Being yoked to someone or something is to be coupled with them. Farmers often yoked oxen to an older, stronger, more experienced animal which bore the burden and guided the young animal through the learning process."

That's why I'm anxious and cranky I'm not yoked to Jesus, I said to myself.

I prayed, Jesus help me cast my cares on you. Help me stay yoked to you and not run ahead.

My sisters broken neck led me to the answer. She was in a neck brace to relieve her pressure; I needed Jesus' yoke  to free me from my anxiety.

Now before my feet hit the floor I pray, Jesus I am yoked to you, whatever comes our way, (especially writing)  I will learn from you and let you guide me.


My angst for editing has dissipated.  
I still have much to learn about editing but I have the best partner to lead me. 

Are you yoked to Jesus today?
Join the conversation.


8 comments:

Connie Wohlford said...

Cherrilynn, this is a great post. I so identify and have prayed almost the same prayer as you. Thanks.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Thanks Connie, I am glad it blessed you. It's good to know others understand. Have a blessed day and stay Yoked to Jesus. I appreciate your continual comments. They encourage me.

Heather said...

I love how God takes something bad (like your sister's injury) and uses it for good. Praise God for that!

Heather Bock
www.glimpsesofjesus.com

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Heather, Thank you for stopping by. We do serve an awesome God. Have a beautiful day.

Lonnie said...

Cheryl, I've often said that I don't have time to read blogs. I think what I've discovered is that it hasn't been so much a matter of time as it has been finding a blog that nourishes my heart. Your's does. I look forward to, and make time, to read it. Thank you.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Lonnie I understand. I look for nourishing blogs also. If I can recommend another blog that challenges and encourages me, it is Lori Roeleveld's blog. http://loriroeleveld.com/category/blog/ Your comment put a new song in my heart. God is so good to give me a glimmer of light amidst the darkness. My life has been filled with many trials lately. I know God wants me to write and He gave me one of the reasons through your comment. I am grateful that this message blessed you. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Katy Kauffman said...

I love that quote about freedom found in being yoked to Jesus. I hope your sister is able to recover well, and that your anxiety flees because Jesus is with you in the editing process!

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Katy, God is good to use pastors to speak His word. My sister is healed. God healed her fractured neck. Yes it is a miracle. My anxiety is fleeing. I appreciate you my friend.