About Me

Friday, August 5, 2016

I PUT THE "PRO" IN PROCRASTINATE

I procrastinate.   I don't know why I put things off.  Maybe it is because I have a fear of failure or I am just plain lazy. 
Clutter overtook my workspace, a good excuse not to write.  
My son needs me, another good reason.
Excuses hindered the progress of my book.
I knew God called me to write it.
People invested time and money to help publish my work, so I had to do something about this procrastination.

I researched potential reasons for my inability to complete this task. 
Fear of failure
Perfectionism
Lack of Reward
The list goes on.

I could blame my behavior on the abuse from my father or other childhood events.  (My research  proves this theory)
The biggest thing I have learned about procrastination when it comes to obeying God,
Procrastination is a sin.  There, I said it.  Now, if I only could put off this guilty feeling.

After many days of prayer, self-examination, and study of the Scripture, procrastination began to release it's ugly grip on me and peace calmed the raging sea of guilt.

 I now claim this Bible verse every morning.
It is my marching orders from God.

Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. 2 Corinthians 8:11 NIV

God is good to teach us from the Word.

I think of the ten virgins with oil lamps.  Five had oil and five procrastinated and did not get oil.  They were called foolish and missed the life changing event. You can read the story HERE


The outcome of those who waited was tragic (Tweet This)


On the opposite end of the spectrum, King Solomon built a Temple for the Lord. It took 20 years. His patience and dedication are recorded in 1 Kings


Thus, all the work that King Solomon did on the house of the LORD was finished.  1 Kings 
7:51

Finished.  That is a word that most procrastinators long to hear.


I repented of my sin.  I remind myself daily that God loves me, He is patient with me, and gives me everything I need for life and godliness. 

 His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, 2 Peter 1:3 NIV.

God gives me the power to do it.  How can I fail with the Creator of the Universe on my side! 
If we move forward with God's purpose, we no longer need to procrastinate (tweet this)
 Do you procrastinate? 
Join in the conversation.   

5 comments:

Lonnie said...

I do procrastinate. House projects is a biggy. Every one overwhelms me. My husband is disabled--back injuries. He does what he can but pays a price. My work is shelving books at a library. So I run out of motivation, energy, and patience. We've begun setting smaller goals. We might get "a" wall painted. We might get "some" of the hardware up for curtains. Needless to say, each project takes much longer. But we have gotten some projects done. Making progress! I also have many interests -- many of which I've dropped. But writing hangs on. I tend to be in a season of learning and praying. Hoping that some of the writing exercises lead to articles.

Lonnie said...

Ish. House projects "are" a biggy. 8-)

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Lonnie, I will pray for you and your husband. Slow and steady wins the race. I try to find joy in the every day monotony of life. It is challenging. Almost an author is looking for guest posts query them at editor@almost an author. I am the Associate editor there. We are there to help aspiring writers. www.almostanauthor.com There is a lot of great information there. Thank you for visiting me here. I always appreciate your comments.

Lonnie said...

And I always appreciate your posts.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Thank you