About Me

Sunday, October 16, 2016

LOVE MEETS DISCERNMENT

"She needs you to back off, she knows what she is doing. She is too afraid to say anything to you. She loves you and does not want to hurt your feelings."
 Lisa said to me as we discussed our mutual friend Mary and the upcoming Christmas Party.  My heart was broken. 
I was new to the church and wanted to make friends and get involved. I met a wonderful woman named Mary. She was sweet, kind, and had the gift of hospitality (sound familiar).

We decided to plan a Christmas get together at her house.  She was eager for me to help. Little did I know she did this every year and it was the highlight of many people's Christmas.  Being the zealous party planner that I am, wanting to fit in and carry my load I called her to offer ideas and assistance.  The next Sunday we spoke after Church.  The following week I called to say hi and discuss the details of the upcoming party.  She seemed hesitant of my ideas.  I was confused. 
 Are we planning this together?  I thought.   
After my phone conversation with Lisa, I realized that my motive was to be admired. I never inquired about Mary's talents and abilities, I just wanted to show off mine.
I picked up the bible and through tears of repentance, I read Philippians 1:9-11 NIV. 


And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight,  so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.

As I prayed to have love and a delicate discernment is all situations, especially with Mary, God gave me the wisdom to call her and apologize.   
She apologized for not speaking with me first.
The party was wonderful.  We sang Christmas Carols, ate great food and thanked God for Jesus.  I understand why everyone looked forward to Mary's party.
Mary and I are still great friends. Lisa too. 
The evil one would have loved us to remain in the unspoken hurt and pain, putting an unseen wall between us. (Tweet This)
When love meets discernment, the fruit of God's glory and righteousness is revealed.
When did you need discernment?   
Join the conversation.





No comments: