About Me

Thursday, January 12, 2017

INVITE GOD?

"You are welcome Oh Lord, we invite you here to be with us,"  the worship leader prayerfully sang.  
"Isn't He already here living in my heart?" I asked myself. 
As a new believer, I was confused.  I heard my brothers and sisters inviting God or the Spirit to enter into the room.
Questions flooded my mind.
"Isn't God omnipresent?  Why do we need to invite Him to be with us if He is already living inside us?"

Was King David wrong in praying...
Where shall I go from your Spirit?
    Or where shall I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
    If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! Psalm 139:7-8



Why do I hear "we invite you God," when some pray or worship?
I asked a few people.
 One person said, "Oh Cherrilynn, you don't have to be so literal."
Ouch!  I am literal when it comes to God.  
Scripture revealed the Truth. 


The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good. Proverbs 15:3 ESV

Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord. Jeremiah 23:24


Years later, while participating as a prayer partner at a Beth Moore conference Beth said,  "I don't invite God, He is already here, He invites us into His presence."
Thank you, Beth, for even more confirmation.
The more I studied the Word the more I understood...

Moses did not invite God to the mountain-God initiated the encounter.(Exodus 3)

Samuel did not wake God to speak with Him.-God called Samuel into His presence. (1 Samuel 3)

Saul definitely did not ask God to speak to him on the road to Damascus- God stopped Him in his tracks. (Acts 9)

God is everywhere, we need not invite Him.  God gives us an open invitation. He is waiting for us to acknowledge Him and bask in His presence.

I find comfort in knowing, wherever I go, He is with me.
Do you enjoy the presence of God?
He enjoys yours!
Join the conversation


2 comments:

Lonnie said...

Yah! Cherrilynn, I made it. Thank you for the setting change. This post struck me from both sides. For a long time, I have cringed when someone prayed, "Lord, be with . . ." He IS with. Maybe it's a warming the vocal cords kind of thing, or just at a loss of what to pray. One thing we can know for sure--THAT prayer is answered . . .

On the other hand, recently I began lighting a candle, before my quiet time, to remind myself of the Holy Spirit's presence. I would "invite" Him into that time and place. This morning, I changed my prayer. I know God understands either way, but I prayed more in line with "acknowledging" His Presence, and to say, "I am available to your comfort, conviction, and teaching."

Thank you for your thought-provoking post.

Lonnie

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Lonnie, Thank you for your encouragement. I like the candle idea. The Holy Spirit is our counselor, I love that God Himself lives in us. Have a blessed day.