About Me

Thursday, January 5, 2017

WHINE OR WINE

Sin will invade our lives in the form of trials, tribulations, and persecution. Emotional or physical pain is inevitable where sin resides. We cannot escape the effects of sin so God sent His solution to give us strength and peace.



Jesus was crushed for our sin
But he was pierced for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace  Isaiah 53:5
When I read this verse, I think of grapes. I know it seems funny but bear with me. 
When grapes are made into wine they are pressed—a fragrant aroma arises only when they are crushed. 
People watch us when we go through trials, tribulations, or persecution (tweet this)   
One day at work, I was taunted by a few co-workers because I stated I was offended by their dirty jokes. 
I found a quiet corner to sulk. Eyes were still on me. 
My heart broke, they knew I was a Christian why would they say such nasty things in my presence, then make fun of me.

The taunts continued.
“Oh, Cherrilynn’s here, we'd better be good, she'll tell God on us,” Mike stated.
“God wouldn’t like our jokes, either would He?” Steve said.
“You guys are idots!” I said as I left the room.
Laughter echoed throughout the office and followed me on my walk.
The Holy Spirit impressed this verse upon my heart as I prayed and asked for wisdom.
For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. (2 Corinthians 2:15). The Spirit continued, your choice is to whine or be wine when you are crushed. Do you want to complain or be a fragrant aroma?
After a short walk, I returned to the office.
“I’m sorry for calling you idiots.”
Mike and Steve’s mouths opened wider than their eyes.
“We thought you’d never talk to us again,” Mike said with his Cheshire grin.
We accept the apology, we will warn you next time we tell those kinds of jokes,” Steve said.
“Thanks, guys.”  
After the apology, they were careful with their speech. In fact, the dirty jokes stopped. They even came to me privately to ask for prayer.

 God's so good to help me turn my whine into wine.
Do you find yourself complaining?
I still do.
Let's aspire to be a fragrant offering.
What do you desire, Whine or Wine?
Join the conversation. 

3 comments:

Lonnie said...

Incredible Post! I'd say I like it, but I don't. 8-) Yet, God's conviction really is wonderful. It is not shaming; it's wrapped in love. Thank you for your honesty and vulnerability. It reached home----- with love.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Lonnie, God convicts me when I whine. It is a learning process and our Great God is filled with mercy and grace. Thank you for stopping by.

Lonnie said...

One year I gave up complaining/whining (and worry) for lent. Not up to that this year.

8-) It is a little like praying for patience. That being said, I felt like God let me in on a little secret. He doesn't need my permission. If patience (perseverance, etc) is what I need . . . . But, as with conviction, He wraps His lessons in love.