About Me

Saturday, March 18, 2017

COMPLIMENTS DIFFICULT FOR YOU?

I envied good singers. I love praising God and making a joyful noise. I'm perfect at the joyful noise part. I desired my crooning, or should I say crowing, to bless others.
In grade school, I had the voice of an angel as a soloist for our school play. Puberty stole my talent.
As an adult, one question was the springboard in reducing my jealousy and my need to be the next Sandi Patty.
One of the soloists from our praise band asked,"Cherrilynn, what do I say when people tell me I have a great voice? I know God gave it to me, I want to be humble. Should I feel happy? Isn't that pride?"
What a great question. Previous to this conversation, I struggled with compliments.
As a speaker, I heard, "Great job," "Convicting," and "I wish I knew the Bible like you." I hesitated to respond because I wanted to give God the glory but didn't want to sound trite or rehearsed. (a part of me still liked the attention.)
I've been on the other side, giving the compliment.
When the person, especially a believer, just said, "Thank you," and walked away, my judgemental heart believed the person was filled with pride.
The angst I felt compelled me to study pride and
 to continue to pray
 All definitions are adapted from Blue Letter Bible 
Let's continue to break down the verses

 1 Corinthians 13:5  love that does not envy, boast, is not arrogant or rude. Love that does not insist on its own way, not irritable or resentful."

Envy- zēloō:  to have warmth of feeling for or against, affect, covet, be jealous over.

Boast- perpereuomai: a self-display, employing rhetorical embellishments in extolling one's self excessively, brag

Arrogant- physioō: to be puffed up, to bear one's self loftily, be proud

The Word convicted me that my jealousy and judgemental heart were not loving.

Love always wants God's best for the other person. God gave each of us special talents and gifts to be used at His discretion, for His Glory. We should praise God when one of His children glorifies God by using their gifts or talent. 
As my friend and I continued our conversation I shared my struggle and what God impressed on my heart to say when someone compliments me. 
"Thank you, I Praise God for empowering me."
I continued.
especially when we give God all the glory."
I shared this verse, it blessed me during my struggle.
It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: ‘Let him who boasts boast in the Lord. 1 Corinthians 26:30-31

My friend walked away with a new found freedom.
I praise God for allowing me to go through times of uncertainty and angst, it drives me to His Word.
I'm blessed to share what He teaches me to others.
Yes, I still must examine my heart for pride and jealousy.
 The more I pray THE PRAYER, the more my heart becomes like HIS.
 

Have you been jealous? How has God helped you through it?

Please join the conversation

4 comments:

Heather said...

This is a hard one for me!! You expressed exactly what I've felt--I want to say it's God, but I don't want to sound fake or "holier than thou." I like the way you expressed it--"I praise God for empowering me." I've been struggling with jealousy on and off lately, too, so thank you!

Heather Bock
www.glimpsesofjesus.com

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Heather thank you for your honesty and your encouragement. I think this is something all struggle with until Jesus takes me to heaven

Lonnie said...

I pray, for myself and our children, "Lord, help us to pursue excellence without slipping into pride." I often pray for our worship team in like manner.

Sometimes a compliment can confirm to someone that they've heard God rightly and obeyed. So we certainly don't want to withhold giving or receiving compliments.

On the receiving end, we might say, "Oh, thank you. That's an answer to prayer."

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

stopping by