About Me

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

WHAT CAN CHASE, REPLACE & ERASE-REHAB'S STORY

Welcome!  We've solved the riddle, "What can chase, replace and erase?"  If you missed last weeks, click
 God reveals His grace in marvelous ways.
Last week we learned how Grace Chased Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden, and how He chases us away from people and situations to protect us.

I was in despair over the tragic choices I made. An abusive childhood left me reeling, with no direction in life.  The pain manifested in unhealthy behavior. I felt hopeless.

Scripture paints a beautiful picture of how grace can consume, sin, aimlessness, and anguish- replacing it with hope and a new destination.

GRACE REPLACED-

The Biblical account of Joshua conquering Jericho reveals a woman who was an outcast of society, used by men and needed a way out. 

God wanted the Israelites to possess the land. Joshua, their leader, sent two spies to the city of Jericho to investigate.
They entered the home of Rahab, a prostitute.
Imagine her reaction when two men of God approached her.
I wonder if she felt shame.

 After the spies had entered Rahab's home, located in the city walls, the King of the city sent men to retrieve the spies. She hid the spies on her roof.  She lied and told the men that the spies left.  We continue the story right after the Kings men left to pursue the spies.

Joshua 2:8-21
 Before the spies lay down for the night, she went up on the roof  and said to them, “I know that the Lord has given you this land and that a great fear of you has fallen on us, so that all who live in this country are melting in fear because of you... When we heard of it, our hearts melted in fear and everyone’s courage failed because of you, for the Lord your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below.“Now then, please swear to me by the Lord that you will show kindness to my family because I have shown kindness to you. Give me a sure sign  that you will spare the lives of my father and mother, my brothers and sisters, and all who

belong to them—and that you will save us from death.” “Our lives for your lives!” the men assured her. “If you don’t tell what we are doing, we will treat you kindly and faithfully when the Lord gives us the land.”
So she let them down by a rope through the window, for the house she lived in was part of the city wall.  She said to them, “Go to the hills so the pursuers will not find you. Hide yourselves there three days until they return, and then go on your way.” Now the men had said to her, “This oath you made us swear will not be binding on us  unless, when we enter the land, you have tied this scarlet cord in the window through which you let us down...”“Agreed,” she replied. “Let it be as you say.”
So she sent them away, and they departed. And she tied the scarlet cord in the window.

The skin on my neck and arms tingled, and my heart skipped a beat as I studied the original word for cord. 
Only God can give us such a gem.

The word for cord in the original language is used often in the Old Testament: 

chebel:   lace, bracelet, wire, twist, cord


The book of Joshua is the only place chebel  is replaced with the word
tiqvah, which means hope.
I  stop and praise God every time I think of this. 

The Rope of Hope.
The chord was a promise of freedom for her and her family, a fresh start to a new way of life.
The spy's return trip took, at least, three weeks plus a week of marching around the city.
The bible does not mention this, and I am careful not to add to scripture or fill in areas where God is silent.  I do believe that while the spies were gone Rahab looked out her window as she waited for the men to return, she fixated on the red chord;  the promise of a new life.  
When she sees Joshua and his men march toward the city, her excitement builds.  She grips the cord, knowing that hope will not disappoint.
Joshua and his army take Jericho, just as God promised.
Rahab and her family are rescued.
They live with the Israelites.
Rahab marries  Salmon.
This prostitute never imagined that she was part of history in the making...
and Salmon the father of Boaz by Rahab, and Boaz the father of Obed by Ruth, and Obed the father of Jesse,  and Jesse the father of David the king. Matthew 1:5-6

Jesus is an offspring of David.
Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, the offspring of David, as preached in my gospel -2 timothy 2:8

Rahab, the prostitute, is in the lineage of Jesus.
That gives me joy and hope.
God can use anyone, even a sinner like me.
She is recognized, along with Abraham, Moses, Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets for her faith

 By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient because she had given a friendly welcome to the spies. Hebrews 11:31

Oh, the riches of God's grace.


God took this pitiful sinner out of a dark dungeon of sin, now I live in the light of His glory and grace.

I would love to hear how God has bestowed His grace on you. Has God replaced your destination?

4 comments:

Beckie Lindsey said...

Cherrilynn, I learned something here today. I will always remember the rope of hope! How marvelous God's word is. I love to find gems like what you shared in this post.
Thanks, dear sister!
Beckie

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Amen. I have to double-check myself every time I think of this because it's just so amazing. we serve an amazing God. Thank you for stopping by I'm always encouraged by your comments

April White said...

Rahab is one of the first people I hope to meet in heaven. I've been writing about Rahab also. I love your insight.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

April, Me too. I love her story. Thank you for the encouragement.