About Me

Monday, April 10, 2017

WHY I DON'T SAY, "HAPPY EASTER"

I've said things out of habit. 
God has convicted me to consider every word I speak.
Now, I won't say, Happy Easter.  
Some say I am nit picky.
Others say, "People know what you mean."
I didn't. 
So why don't I say Happy Easter? 

It began about 20 years ago.  I  researched the origin of Easter. 
I love this holiday.  Without the resurrection of Jesus, I would be lost forever.
I desired to know all about the event that radically transformed my life.
To my shock and horror, Easter has it's root in paganism.  Easter is derived from the name of a fertility goddess. 
Her name, ISHTAR.
Ishtar was frequently worshiped as the goddess of fertility, a sort of Mother Nature, goddess of Spring,  sexual love, and birth. 
Ishtar was considered a mediator between God and man.(Yikes)
 She was called, Queen of Heaven. Sexual orgies and temple prostitutes were often used in her worship, in an attempt to gain her favor.
As I studied, my hair stood on end.
She is mentioned in Jeremiah 7:18

The children gather wood, the fathers kindle fire, and the women knead dough, to make cakes for the queen of heaven. And they pour out drink offerings to other gods, to provoke me to anger.

The Lord stated in the previous verse not to pray for these people who worship her. 


As Christians, we know God hates idol worship.
His Scripture states,

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.Deuteronomy 6:5 ESV 
Goddess Ishtar

You shall have no other gods before me Exodus 20:3 ESV

These verses echoed in my head, along with other scriptures.


Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves any gods of cast metal: I am the LORD your God  Leviticus 19:4


For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus  1 Timothy 6:5 ESV



I hope you understand why I am sick to my stomach at the thought of wishing someone a Happy Easter. (tweet this)

Some say that Easter is the celebration of Spring, so why not say Happy Spring?

As believers, we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.  He is the one who created the earth and everything in it (including eggs and bunnies).
Without Him, Spring would not exist.  

I am not trying to convince you to change your vocabulary. This is my conviction.
However, I do feel compelled to share with you why I don't say Happy Easter. 
Now, my greeting is Happy Resurrection Day. 
On Resurrection Sunday, I say,  He has Risen!

Let's rejoice knowing that Jesus died, was buried and rose again on the third day to give us life.

When someone says Happy Easter to me, I don't give them a sermon, I politely say  Happy Resurrection Day!
Have you ever been convicted to change your words?

Join the conversation.








10 comments:

Cathy Chung said...

Great research. I totally understand why you say Happy Resurrection Day. It's a mouthful though. Maybe I'll switch to saying He is Risen.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Thank you my friend. Yes it is a mouthful. But it fills my heart to say it have a blessed Resurrection Sunday I hope to see you soon

Kim Nolywaika said...

He is risen indeed! Happy Resurrection Day.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Kim, thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to see a new visitor. He has risen indeed

Heather said...

I think of it as God taking what was pagan and wrong and changing it for the good. Like me!

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Heather, thank you for stopping by. I understand what you're saying. That's exactly what he did when he rose from the grave. Enjoy the celebration.

Beckie Lindsey said...

Cherrilynn, I appreciate your research. Thank you!
Beckie

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Beckie, Thank you for stopping by and thank you for the continual encouragement.

Leigh Powers said...

I love the interchange of the statement and response. He is risen. He is risen indeed! Appreciate your research.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Thank you Leigh, that's my favorite too Thank you for your encouragement