About Me

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

WORTH REMEMBERING



There are events in life that are worth remembering- weddings, birthdays and other special moments. 
My best memory?  The day the Lord took my hand in His and we began our journey together. That was 27 years ago.
 My sister Charlene needed prayer. She lived in Hawaii at the time.  We live in New England.
 I searched for a church that was open during the day. 
None!
 However, Wood River Baptist Church in Hope Valley, RI held a prayer meeting every Tuesday night at 7 pm.
 I walked through the doors of the little white chapel with my younger sister Jessie.
 I remember three of the eight people who were there. 
Jimmy Stewart’s mom, Pastor Bell, and my sister, who took Jesus’ other hand that night. 
As Jessie and I entered, a gray-haired lady motioned for me to sit on the piano bench next to her. As I sat down I recognized her.  Guilt set in.
 As teenagers, we went to Jimmy Stewart's house and listen to ACDC, KISS and other rock bands.  Jimmy was banned from having friends over when his mom was at work. God reminded me of one moment, as we left Jimmy’s bedroom to go home.  Jimmy's mom was sitting in her rocking chair with hands folded.  
Was she praying before she killed us? I thought to myself, trying to leave unnoticed.
My stomached turned and my face reddened with embarrassment as she smiled her angelic smile and waved goodbye to us.  No judgment about the music, no mention of disobeying her rule.  We hurried out of the house and nervously giggled all the way home.  
That same angelic smile from the past was sitting next to me on the piano bench.  I told her we were there to pray for our oldest sister, Charlene, who was going through some difficult problems.
"I remember Charlene, she finished High School early." Her sky blue eyes focused on me.
 Pastor Bell came into the sanctuary and asked Jessie and me to follow him.  Before I stood up, Jimmy’s mom put her hand on my knee, lovingly looked into my eyes and said, “If you accept Jesus as your Savior you can still wear makeup!”  To this day I still chuckle about her statement.  Maybe she thought I was only concerned about beauty.
My sister Jessie and I followed  Pastor Bell into his office.
 We shared our concern for our sister.  He prayed for her. Then he asked, "Do you know Jesus?"  We both looked at each other, "No!" we said in unison.  He asked if He could share something with us.  We both nodded, yes. He led us through, what I now know as “The Romans Road” to salvation. 

Romans 3:23 – for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.-
Romans 3:10– As it is written: “There is none righteous, no, not one;
Romans 5:12  – Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned–
Romans 6:23  – For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 5:8 – But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 10:9-10  – that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation
Romans 10:13  – For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”
Romans 10:17  – So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

I knew that I was a sinner separated from God.  I desired the love of God to fill my empty aching soul.
"Would you like to have a relationship with Jesus?"
 Jessie said, "Yes!"
 I blurted out “But I am not good enough for Jesus”.   
The childhood abuse at the hands of my biological father consumed my thoughts.  If my own father doesn't want me why would a Holy God want me?
 The pastor said, “I will be right back, I have something to show you.”  I watched as he took a green book off the shelf and made a copy of one of the pages.  
“This song from our hymnal may help.”  As I read the following words, tears filled my eyes. I said "YES" to the free gift of eternal life found only in Jesus.

               Just as I am, without one plea,
                but that thy blood was shed for me,
                and that thou bidst me come to thee,
                O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
That was the best day of my life.  God accepts me just as I am, broken and flawed. 
I always smile when I remember Jimmy's mom, Pastor Bell, and Jessie. They shared in the most important day of my life.  My very own sister and I met Jesus the same day, now that's worth remembering.

Do you remember the day Jesus took your hand?
Rejoice in your re-birth day.

If that day has not yet happened for you, go back and meditate on The Romans Road.
 If God is calling you say "Yes"  and take the hand of Jesus.
Life can be difficult, even with the Lord at your side. However, imagine what life would be like without Him there to guide you, comfort you and teach you?  
Take His hand, believe and make today a day worth remembering.
Do you have a day worth remembering? I'd love to her about it.  Please join the conversation?

6 comments:

Sherrie Giddens said...

I think we all have that one moment in life that was pivotal for our Christian journey. I remember mine as if it were not that long ago, but it was over 35 years ago. I hope I never forget it!

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Sherrie, Amen. My memory fades with everyday facts, but this day is embedded in my mind. Thank you for sharing. Have a blessed day.

Crickett said...

Yes, I remember the day I gave my life to Jesus as a nine-year old. I even asked the pastor to preach on the cross that day and he did, and I made a public profession of my faith. I grew in my relationship with the Lord, until I went to college and strayed. Then I had another sweet day of remembrance - the day as a junior at LSU, when I got on my knees and confessed that I had been running my life the past two years, and I wanted to give him the throne of my life and let Him truly be my Lord.I gave Him control. Both days are so sweet, and I'll never forget them.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Crickett, Thank you for sharing your story. We have such a loving and forgiving God.

Cathy Chung said...

What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing. I love that God put Jimmy Stewart's mom on the piano bench next to you and her comment about makeup is priceless. She remembered that Charlene finished HS early and connected you with makeup. Hmmmm.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Cathy, Thanks for your visit. You helped me understand her comment about makeup, Charlene wore heavy blue eyeshadow in High School! Thank you. Now I get it 27 years later. Hee hee. Have a great mothers day my friend.