About Me

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

It's Complimentary!

Do you find it difficult to accept a compliment? 
As a speaker, I'd receive accolades.
 I knew I could not teach without the power and wisdom of the Holy Spirit. Replying with a "thank you" alone made me feel like I took the glory and didn't give to God?
When I said, "Don't thank me, It's all God," the person left looking bewildered.
I've been asked how to receive compliments by Christians seeking to please God,

"Cherrilynn, I know God gave me this voice, how do I accept a compliment without sounding prideful?"

"Cherrilynn, I don't feel comfortable taking a compliment when God gave me the talent to play the piano."

God has given each of His children talents and gifts, so how do we glorify Him when we are praised for using them?

As believers, we are commanded to give Him the glory.

In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.-Mathew 5:16 ESV

Therefore, as it is written: "Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord. 1 Corinthians 1:31 NIV

When we are tempted to take the glory for ourselves, God is not pleased.
We can follow Jesus' example.  Jesus answered Satan after being tempted.


And Jesus answered him, “It is written, “‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve.’” Luke 4:8 ESV

If anyone deserves glory it is Jesus, but He showed us how to handle the temptation to bask in the glory that belongs to God. 

I desired to received attention. 
I did not receive it from my earthly father. I was abused and ridiculed by him.
Like everyone, I just needed to feel loved.
I found myself interrupting people mid-sentence, what I had to say was important, wasn't it?
I dated guys who admired me but I had no business spending time with them.
The limelight was my place to shine.
After many years of studying the Bible and praying Scripture, many of my selfish desires changed.
I now realize God loves me unconditionally.
No more permanent void!
No more mission to be in the limelight. 
 Now, I long to point people to the One who rescued me from the darkness. 
When pride knocks on my door, I answer it with the truth. (tweet this)
I remind myself Christ died on the cross for my sin, apart from Him I can do nothing to please God.
 Jesus made this statement:
I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5
 My heart fills with joy knowing God gives me the power and wisdom to complete the work He ordained for me. 
God uses me and you to further His Kingdom and bless others.
Yes, we have a part in all of this. 
Obedience. 
We need to take the time to study and practice.

So how do we accept a compliment knowing we worked hard with God to bless others with the talent He gave us?

As I prayed, The Spirit gave me a few responses.
"Thank you, I praise God for using me."
"Praise God and thank you."
"Thank you! Isn't God good to use us to bless one another."


God knows our heart. 

When I desire to be the center of attention, I repent and ask God to heal me of any pain and to fill my void of loneliness, doubt, or worry with His Love.

Do you find it difficult to receive compliments? How do you handle it?  Join the conversation.




No comments: