About Me

Monday, July 24, 2017

LITTLE WHITE LIES

I was too tired to go to an event so I told my friend I had a phone meeting.  I was expecting a call but I did not know when. I stretched the truth, a little white lie. No one was hurt.

I've told the proverbial "little white lie" in the past to keep from hurting someone's feelings. It's not a habit. Everyone does it, right?

Dictionary.com gives this definition for Little White Lie
a minor, polite, or harmless lie; fib.

So, I'm being polite by telling a harmless fib to spare my friend's feelings, right?

Wrong!
 A lie is a lie, no matter the reason you tell it. (Click to Tweet)
Just yesterday I stretched the truth. Conviction set in. I knew deep down that I was lying to my friend and to myself. 

I pray you will still read my posts knowing that I've lied, I'm a sinner. I'm ashamed of myself. I've quoted Proverbs 12:22 and Proverbs 6:16-17  to my son 


Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight. 

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him:
17 
haughty eyes, a lying tongue


I repented of my sin. Yes, the little white lie was a sin. A sin against God and my friend.

I praise God for showing me His love, grace, and mercy.
From now on, I will strive to speak the truth and not stretch it. 

Have you told a little white lie?

Join the conversation.




6 comments:

Lonnie said...

God has been dealing with me along those same lines. I've gotten much better, but faced that choice even this morning. I used to tell the "busy lie," and then make sure I was, to make the lie look like truth. Ish.

One thing that has helped me is a pastor's suggestion to say, "I have plans." Details aren't required. Plans may be much needed sanity time.

The driver's license weight. Eeooh. Getting better.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Lonnie, Thank you for your transparency. Yes, the weight on the driver's license is a good example. Thank you for reading and responding. God's blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

It's tempting to tell white lies to my kids sometimes, but knowing they might catch me in it and learn to do it themselves has taught me not to do it. There's always something else to say besides the lie!

Heather Bock
www.glimpsesofjesus.com

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Heather, Thank you for sharing and being a great example. I appreciate you and your friendship.

Lyneta Smith said...

Great reminder, Cherrilynn! Thank you for calling this what it is and being such a great example of repenting. I love your God-honoring heart!

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Lyneta" thank you for the encouragement. My prayer is that I'm always convicted before I even want to tell a lie