About Me

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

WHEN THE SPOTLIGHT FADES

I bet you can’t sing!”  Cried a voice from the back of the room.  
 “No, she is too ugly to sing,”   another boy said. 
 In the sixth grade, I was shunned and made fun of for being poor. I did not wear the latest fashion. In fact, I wore the same three outfits.
 One afternoon I was heckled into trying out for the part of Nancy in our school play.  
 “She is chicken!" I heard Sue say. 
Janice had just finished her beautiful rendition of Where is Love.   Everyone knew Janice had the best voice in the class.   I truly wanted to be accepted. 
Head down, I walked to the piano and waited for the music to begin.  The class snickered.  “She is a fool”, “she can’t sing,”   “She is ugly!” 
 I wanted to cry.  I remained strong. The piano played,  I  sang.    
I saw shock and awe on the faces of my classmates.
Janice looked mad, the music teacher looked pleased, the boys looked down at their shoes as I got the part of Nancy in our class play, Oliver Twist.   
 Opening night I could see my parents in the audience, the lights were bright and I was in heaven.   
I loved having the spotlight on me.  I sang the song flawlessly and received many accolades and hugs from parents and friends. Janice and Sue, the most popular girls in the class, acknowledged my existence with a "Great job, Cherrilynn.   
I was not the brunt of any more jokes.  

Only a few weeks after the curtain closed, my classmates forgot about the play and me.
I was crushed, they only liked me because I could do something special. 
The funny thing is,  I can't sing like that anymore.   

Have you felt betrayed or forgotten? 
Did the spotlight fade?
Our Heavenly Father is thinking about you right now. He is your steady rock; unmovable and unshakable.  Bask in His light.  
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1 ESV

When life is overwhelming,
when people disappoint us,
when the worldly spotlight fades and we don't feel like singing,
God is there to uphold us, to shine His light of love on us.

The LORD your God is in your midst,
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing. Zephaniah 3:17


Imagine God singing over us.  He wants to be the source of our joy; the reason for living.  His spotlight is on His children and He likes what He sees.
Has a spotlight faded in your life?
Join the conversation.

12 comments:

Jennifer DeFrates said...

I love the Zephaniah 3 passage. What a great scripture. Thanks for sharing. I've never been able to sing and always wanted to. But God knew my desire for the spotlight and keeps me humble.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Jennifer, Thank you for the encouragement. God still reminds me that He gets the spotlight not me. I still can't sing either. But I do make a joyful noise. God bless you.

Beckie Lindsey said...

Cherrilynn, I have some icky memories like the one you described. We moved over 20 times when I was a kid. The new kid gets picked on a lot. God used those hurtful experiences to draw me to Himself and to strengthen me.
I remember the first time I read that passage in Zephaniah. Oh, how it made me smile. To think of the Lord singing over me the way I did my children when they were babies. Ah, we serve a wonderful God!
Thanks the encouraging words, dear sister in Christ.

Jann W Martin said...

Thank you for sharing. Growing up I often felt left out. This is encouraging to those of us that still feel not quite there yet.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Beckie thank you for sharing. It's wonderful how God takes the difficult moments to make us stronger.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Jann. I still feel left out at times. When I do I turn to God and know that he is there for me. Thank you for sharing And thank you for the encouragement

Lyneta Smith said...

I had similar experiences in school. I can sure relate! I spent many years being addicted to the ever-elusive approval of others. I still struggle! This is a wonderful reminder to remember God is the source of our joy.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Lyneta, I'm sorry you experienced pain in school. We are blessed to have Jesus as the source of our joy. Thank you for your encouragement.

Lonnie said...

This morning, I read a devotion that highlighted Gideon: "My family is insignificant and I am the most insignificant in my family." Wow! I could sign my name to that! But the idea expressed was the mighty ways God used Gideon. He may have been insignificant to some, but not to God. I feel with you and with those who have left comments. I'm blessed by comfort and ecouragement in both. God has plans.8-)

Anonymous said...

I love that God uses those the world thinks are insignificant. I also love that God is singing over us with joy! He doesn't ever think we are insignificant!

Heather Bock
www.glimpsesofjesus.com

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Lonnie, I'm sorry you felt insignificant. I praise God that none of His children are insignificant. Thank you for comments. I'm going back to read about Gideon.

CHERRILYNN BISBANO said...

Heather, God is so good to use us and sing over us. I still can't wrap my mind around such a beautiful thing. Thanks for your encouragement.